How to do a visual head check
- Check clean, dry hair in sunlight or bright indoor light.
- Inspect small sections of hair 1/4″ – 2″ from the scalp.
- Look for tiny, unmovable, teardrop-shaped nits, varying from cream to brown, on hair shaft.
- If found, call us for a head check.
How to do a combing head check – For a more thorough search
- Check damp or towel-dried hair that is free of tangles.
- Section hair by clipping hair on top of the head, leaving 3-4” of hair down in the back at the nape of the neck.
- Very gently, scrape the nit comb along the scalp, dragging the comb all the way to the end of the hair shaft. Comb in 4 directions.
- Wipe the metal nit comb clean on a white paper towel after every few strokes.
- Inspect paper towel for nits or lice (If you’re not sure what you’re finding, we’ll inspect it for you. Learn more. Nit Support
- Let the next 3-4” of hair down. Continue combing and wiping the comb on the paper towel. Complete throughout the head. This should take 5-10 minutes.
- If found treat properly and tell school, friends & family to check a few times for 3 weeks.
- Check weekly.
If you find even 1 nit:
- Call us at 610-443-1462 for a Head Check.
Be wary of OTC products that contain pesticides, as lice have grown resistant. We recommend our All Natural Treatment. We also recommend The Lice Lifters® products.